State Parties to the World Heritage Convention are invited to inform the World Heritage Committee of developments that may affect the outstanding universal value of a World Heritage property (Paragraph 172, Operational Guidelines).
Australia set in place a notification procedure in November 2011 to inform the World Heritage Centre on a quarterly basis of the following new decisions:
- Controlled Actions with s. 12 (World Heritage) trigger
- Withdrawal of a previously notified Controlled Action by a proponent
A 'Controlled Action' is an action that is subject to the assessment and approval process under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). The EPBC Act provides a rigorous assessment of proposed actions which may have a significant impact on World Heritage values before being approved.
Reports will be sent to the World Heritage Centre providing details of all such decisions made during the relevant quarter. The quarters will be 1 March, 1 June, 1 September and 1 December each year.
- Notification report to the World Heritage Committee - March 2013 (PDF - 22 KB) | (Word - 20 KB)
- Notification report to the World Heritage Committee - December 2012 (PDF - 51 KB) | (Word - 22 KB)
- Notification report to the World Heritage Committee - September 2012 (PDF - 29 KB) | (Word - 20 KB)
- Notification report to World Heritage Committee - March 2012 (PDF - 31 KB) | (Word - 117 KB)
- Notification report to World Heritage Committee - November 2011 (PDF - 46 KB) | (Word - 346 KB)
Great Barrier Reef interim report
On 31 October 2011, the department notified the World Heritage Centre of all proposed developments being assessed as controlled actions for potential impacts on the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area under the EPBC Act:
Detailed documentation on each of the Controlled Actions is available on the EPBC public notices page.
- Australian Heritage Week
- Public notices
- Asia-Pacific Focal Point
- Australia's dinosaurs
- Managing Commonwealth heritage places
- Australian Heritage Council
- Australian Heritage Places Inventory (AHPI)
- Australian Heritage Database
- Australian Heritage Information
- Export permits
- Indigenous heritage
- Place managers network
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window