The Cole Mines Historic Site
National Heritage Assessment
The names of individual assessors and nominators have been removed for privacy reasons
About this assessment
The Coal Mines Historic Site on Tasman Peninsula was a penal colliery and convict establishment from 1833-1848, and one of a number of probation stations established on the peninsula to mine the natural resources. Although not the first or largest in Australia, the mines on the site were the first commercial mines in Tasmania and an important resource for the local economy. The Australian Heritage Council found the Coal Mines Historic Site of outstanding national heritage significance. At its peak the Coal Mines accommodated up to five hundred convicts. The place now contains significant ruins such as the remnant barracks with punishment cells, coal seams at the beach, the main pit head with original machinery footings, the boiler and airshaft, the inclined plane for coal tram cars, and the remains of wharves and jetties. The sites of semaphore structures and a guard house remain on Coal Mine Hill and Mount Stewart.
The Council's final assessment report as given to the Minister is attached.
In some cases the Minister will have made amendments to such matters as boundaries, values and descriptions, before listing the place. For final listing data visit the Australian Heritage Database or the National Heritage Listing for Coal Mines Historic Site .