Recognised for its role in the establishment and training of the Australian Imperial Force and the Light Horse in Tasmania, Pontville Small Arms Range Grassland Site is also valued as a habitat for two nationally threatened plant species.
Remnant grassland and grassy woodland communities are also found on the site and are believed to have survived due to the continued use of the area for military training since August 1914.
The grasslands are of outstanding conservation significance and the area is considered one of the best remaining grasslands in south-eastern Australia. Of the other plants species found at the site, 18 are considered rare and threatened in Tasmania and 12 are scheduled under the Tasmanian Threatened Species Act 1995.
Designed by Alan Walker, one of Tasmania's most prominent 20th century architects, the Hobart General Post Office was built in 1905.
At the time of its construction there were strong expenditure constraints imposed by the new Commonwealth Government and the imposing building, highlights the faith of Tasmanians in their state — the clock and tower of the GPO were funded by the people of Hobart. A familiar city landmark, the GPO remains an important part of the fabric of the Hobart central business district.
The oldest continuously occupied barracks site in Australia, this site illustrates the development of both Tasmania's and Australia's defence forces.
Constructed on a site chosen by Governor Lachlan Macquarie on 2 December 1811, Anglesea Barracks is highly valued for its cultural and social associations as well as for civil and military uses.
One of Australia's most isolated and tallest lighthouses, Tasman Island Lighthouse highlights the hardships experienced by early lighthouse keepers.
Built in 1906, it was one of the last lighthouses erected in Tasmania before the Commonwealth assumed responsibility for coastal lights.
An important Devonport landmark, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse dates back to a period when the river port was sustained by exports of agricultural produce and timber.
Significant for its association with the development of Devonport and the Mersey District, Mersey Bluff Lighthouse, built in 1889, is now a focal point in the township's recreational area.
Rising up 48 metres above the northern tip of King Island, the Cape Wickham Lighthouse was constructed as part of the Bass Strait network of lighthouses in 1861.
Australia's tallest lighthouse, it retains it original lantern house as well as its timber staircase, an unusual feature for a stone lighthouse.
The below-ground base and access bridge of Table Cape Lighthouse set it apart from other maritime navigational aids construction along the north coast of Tasmania in the 19th century.
Built on the flat-topped headland cliffs in 1888 as a result of the expanding shipping trade, the lighthouse stands as a well-known landmark.
One of Launceston's more readily identifiable landmarks, the General Post Office building is an early and fine example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architectural design.
A central point for a wide range of services, the 1889 structure has a strong association with the development and Launceston, particularly its central business district.
An example of the work of Tasmanian Government Architect W. Eldridge, the building is Tasmania's most architecturally advanced post office of the 19th century.
The Commissariat Store at Paterson Barracks, which provided food and clothing for convicts and military personnel, is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Launceston.
Later used by the Ordnance Department and Colonial Storekeeper's Department, the Commissariat played an important role in the government's administration of the settlement from the time of its construction in 1828.
The buildings size and solid construction reflect its importance to the settlement during the period.
Goose Island Lighthouse is one of five existing pre-1850 lighthouses in Tasmania. Built using convict labour over a five-year period from 1841 to 1846, the lighthouse, like Eddystone and Swan Island lighthouses, was part of the Bass Strait lighthouse network developed in the mid-19th century.
The Australian Maritime College (AMC), formerly the Newnham Estate, is a living example of the evolution of European settlement in Tasmania. First established as a large rural estate on the banks of the Tamar River close to Launceston in the 1930s, the site was used as a government institutional residence, a hostel, a community school and high school before becoming the Australian Maritime College in 1979.
Significant for its association with the expansion and development of the city of Launceston, the AMC is also recognised for the adaptive reuse of the estate.
This dramatic Eddystone Point landmark took two years to construct and served as an important navigational aid in the Bass Strait region. Its construction highlights the importance of Bass Strait to shipping between Melbourne, Hobart and Launceston during the latter half of the 19th century.
Eddystone Lighthouse is part of a substantially intact complex including three residences and a grave.
Recognised as the oldest lighthouse in Bass Strait and built using convict labour, Swan Island Lighthouse highlights the role of convicts in the construction of government facilities in Tasmania during the 1840s.
Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land, Sir John Franklin initiated the development of the lighthouse, which was an integral part of the Bass Strait lighthouse network in the mid-19th century at a time when shipping was increasing between Melbourne, Hobart and Launceston.
For more than 100 years Queenstown Post Office has served as an important communication facility for the physically isolated area.
Constructed in 1902, the two-storey brick masonry building demonstrates the public face of government at the end of the 19th century and is one of only a few substantial government service buildings constructed on the west coast.
The size and formal aesthetic qualities of the post office provide an insight into the wealth and size of Queenstown at the turn of the century and is representative of the post-Victorian era of construction.
Situated on the tip of the outermost boundary of Macquarie Harbour, Strahan, Cape Sorell Lighthouse stands an example of the style of lighthouses constructed around Australia during the latter 19th century.
Built in 1899 to aid navigation along the west coast of Tasmania, the lighthouse is the only remaining intact structure of a lightstation complex that included the tower, three keeper residences and an engine room.
For more detailed information about each place, search the Australian Heritage Database.
- Australian Heritage Week
- Public notices
- Asia-Pacific Focal Point
- Australia's dinosaurs
- Managing Commonwealth heritage places
- Australian Heritage Council
- Australian Heritage Places Inventory (AHPI)
- Australian Heritage Database
- Australian Heritage Information
- Export permits
- Indigenous heritage
- Place managers network
- Historic Shipwrecks Program factsheet
- Patrimonito Storyboard competition
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window