Progress report one (November 2009)
Permits for work at the site are being obtained. Specifications for the works are being finalised, and a process for tendering has been identified. A brief for the project management team has also been prepared.
Quotes are expected to be sought in January, with work to commence in February.
Progress report two (March 2010)
A primary contractor has been appointed and has commenced restoration works, which are due to be complete by late March. Restoration works include: removing and replacing timber trestles, patching holes in waterwheel buckets, preparing and painting iron flume, penstock, waterwheel and timber trestle legs.
The heritage advisor will conduct an inspection of all works at the end of March in preparation for the final report.
With the exception of painting the flume trestle legs, all works were complete by the beginning of June. The painting of the legs will be completed in June, but is dependent on suitable temperatures and weather conditions.
Techniques used in the project include:
- high pressure water washing of the flume and waterwheel
- de-scaling of bolt heads
- surface preparation of timber components such as removal of flaking and peeling paint
- a two coat system on all bare metal surfaces of the flume and waterwheel.
This project has restored the two iconic structures of Andersons Mill, the waterwheel and the flume, as closely as possible to their original state. Repairing the leaks, cracks and holes in the flume and the waterwheel has restored their structural integrity, and it is now possible to demonstrate how these structures operated in the past. This will greatly assist in visually describing the 'story' of Andersons Mill and the industrial aesthetics of the era.
- Australian Heritage Week
- Public notices
- Asia-Pacific Focal Point
- Australia's dinosaurs
- Managing Commonwealth heritage places
- Australian Heritage Council
- Australian Heritage Places Inventory (AHPI)
- Australian Heritage Database
- Australian Heritage Information
- Export permits
- Indigenous heritage
- Place managers network
- Historic Shipwrecks Program factsheet
- Patrimonito Storyboard competition
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window