Applications to the 2012-13 Your Community Heritage Program have now closed. No further applications will be accepted.
Please note: Applications are being assessed. All applicants will be advised regarding the outcome of applications following a funding approval decision by the Minister. Details of successful applications will also be published on this website. The Department asks for your patience during this period.
About the Program
As part of the May 2011 Budget, supplementary funding of up to $4 million per year over two years was made available for 2011-12 and 2012-13 under the Your Community Heritage program. This funding was in addition to annual funding for Protecting National Historic Sites of up to $4.42 million each year (including up to $100,000 each year for Commemorating Eminent Australians).
The supplementary funding for Your Community Heritage is set to conclude at the end of 2012-13. From 2013-14 onwards, Protecting National Historic Sites will continue to operate.
Your Community Heritage program recognises that our heritage is not just about 'big' heritage such as places on the World and National Heritage Lists, it is also about the heritage of individual communities, be they in regional Australia or small towns or in dispersed multicultural communities. Your Community Heritage program is about broadening our understanding and support of heritage and the organisations, individuals, volunteers and communities, who protect and manage so many of our unique heritage places and stories.
Your Community Heritage program will promote the importance of heritage to the community and its role in bringing people together, creating community identity and a sense of pride.
In 2012-13, Your Community Heritage program funding is available under the following five sub-programs:
- Protecting National Historic Sites*;
- Recovering from Natural Disasters;
- Commemorating Eminent Australians;
- Sharing Community Heritage Stories; and
- Celebrating Community Heritage.
* Applications to the Protecting National Historic Sites sub-program for 2013-14 should also be submitted under this 2012-13 call for applications, with funding being made available in 2013-14 for successful projects.
Funding under each sub-program will be determined by demand and the quality of applications.
For more information, please refer to:
If you still have any questions, please contact the Department.
Please note: Your Community Heritage staff cannot provide advice on individual eligibility of applicants or projects, or assist in making a decision on the submission of an application.
Phone: (freecall) 1800 653 004
Your Community Heritage Program
Grants Services Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Search for heritage places
- Australian Heritage Week
- Public notices
- Asia-Pacific Focal Point
- Australia's dinosaurs
- Managing Commonwealth heritage places
- Australian Heritage Council
- Australian Heritage Places Inventory (AHPI)
- Australian Heritage Database
- Australian Heritage Information
- Export permits
- Indigenous heritage
- Place managers network
- Historic Shipwrecks Program factsheet
- Patrimonito Storyboard competition