Working with Indigenous Knowledge in Natural Resource Management
Commonwealth of Australia, 2004
ISBN 064 255 0344
About the publication
This short report is drawn from the Workshop Outcomes Report of an Indigenous Knowledge Forum, held at Alice Springs on 28 - 29 May 2003.
The purpose of this report is to provide guidelines, processes and protocols for regional bodies to work effectively with Indigenous knowledge in regional natural resource management.
The report outlines:
- the regional delivery context
- the issues involved in supporting Indigenous knowledge
- a framework of principles for engagement with Indigenous knowledge
- a partnership approach
- an Indigenous Knowledge Support (IKS) Plan
- an Indigenous Natural Resource Management (INRM) planning process
- protocols for working together
- recommendations to improve regional body processes.