Beadle, N.C.W. (1981) The vegetation of Australia. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
Boddy, L. and Watkinson, S.C. (1995) Wood decomposition, higher fungi, and their role in nutrient redistribution. Can. J. Bot. 73 (Suppl. 1), 1377-1383.
Chudleigh, P. and Zoretto, A. (1999) Commercial prospects for low rainfall agroforestry. Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation, 1999.
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry: Australia's State of the Forests Report 2003 , Australian Government, Canberra.
Driscoll, D.A., Milkovits, G. and Freudenberger, D. (2000) Impact and use of firewood in Australia. CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems report to Environment Australia.
Garnett, S. and Crowley, G. (2000) The action plan for Australian birds 2000. Environment Australia, Canberra.
Forestry Technical Services and University of Tasmania (FTSUT) (1989) Fuelwood use and supply in Australia, National Energy Research and Development Demonstration Program Cons, Report No. 28, DPIE, Canberra.
Moore, R.M. (1970) South-eastern temperate woodlands and grasslands in Australia. pp. 169-190 in Moore, R.M. (Ed.). Australian National University Press, Canberra.
Mussared, D. (1992) Wood-collecting 'threat to environment'. Canberra Times, 25-08-92. p. 4.
Niemela, J. (1996) Invertebrates and boreal forest management. Conservation Biology 11, 601-610.
Parlane, L. and Clark, J. (2000) Firewood from existing plantations still a first cut. Paper prepared for the 'A Burning Issue' conference, Bendigo 2000.
Reid, J.R.W. (1999) Threatened and declining birds in the New South Wales Sheep-Wheat Belt: I. Diagnosis, characteristics and management. Consultancy report to NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. CSIRO Wildlife and Ecology, Canberra.
RFA (1997) Tasmanian Regional Forest Agreement between the Commonwealth of Australia and the state of Tasmania. Joint Commonwealth and Tasmanian Regional Forest Agreement Steering Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
Todd, J. (1998) Air quality implications of increased softwood burning in the Australian Capital Territory, Environment ACT, Canberra.
Traill, B.J. (1993) Forestry, birds, mammals and management in box and ironbark forests. Victorian Naturalist 110, 11-14.
Yates, C.J. and Hobbs, R.J. (1997) Temperate eucalypt woodlands: A review of their status, processes threatening their persistence and techniques for restoration. Australian Journal of Botany 45, 949-973.
- Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts: Threatened species and ecological communities
- Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts: Australia's native vegetation
- Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts: Air quality
- Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts: Biodiversity
- Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts: Australian Greenhouse Office
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry: About plantations
- Natural Heritage Trust
- The Action Plan for Australia's Birds 2000
- The State of Australia's Birds 2005: Woodlands and Birds
State and Territory governments
- Department of Primary Industry - Forests (NSW): Collecting firewood and craft timber from State Forests
- Department of Environment and Climate Change (NSW): Key threatening process declaration - dead wood removal
- Department of Environment and Climate Change (NSW): Native forestry on private property
- Department of Sustainability and Environment (Victoria): Forest Products and Firewood
- Department of Sustainability and Environment (Victoria): Box-ironbark firewood
- Department of Natural Resources and Water (Qld): Native forest practice on private land
- PIRSA Forestry Fact sheet: Growing Firewood in the South East of South Australia
- Department of the Environment and Conservation (WA): Firewood collection points
- Forest Practices Authority (Tas): Frequently Asked Questions about the Forest Practices System
- Environment ACT: Home Fires and Firewood
Burns, K., Walker, D. and Hansard, A. (1999) Forest plantations on cleared agricultural land in Australia: A regional economic analysis. ABARE Research Report 99.11, Canberra.
Economists@Large and Associates (2000) The business of growing firewood for profit in Victoria. Report to the Victorian National Parks Association.
Freudenberger, D., Cawsey, E.M., Stol, J and West, P.W. (2004) Sustainable firewood supply in the Murray-Darling Basin , Department of the Environment and Heritage, Canberra.
Mac Nally, R. (2006) Longer-term response to experimental manipulation of fallen timber on forest floors of floodplain forest in south-eastern Australia. Forest Ecology and Management 229, 155-166.
National Parks Association of NSW (2003) Your guide to sustainable firewood in NSW: we all love wood fires - but burning firewood may be burning habitat. National Parks Association of NSW, Sydney.
Paul, K.I. (2003) Life cycle assessment of greenhouse gas emissions from domestic woodheating: greenhouse gas emissions from firewood production systems . Prepared for the Australian Greenhouse Office and Environment Australia, CSIRO Forestry and Forest Products, Canberra.
Prober, S.M. (1996) Conservation of the grassy White Box Woodlands: Rangewide floristic variations and implications for reserve design. Australian Journal of Botany 44, 57-77.
State Forests of NSW (2002) Armidale plantation firewood trial: maintaining biodiversity by substituting private native woodland firewood supplies with hardwood plantation thinnings: an Armidale case study. State Forests of NSW, Sydney.
Todd, J. (2002) Review of literature on residential firewood use, wood-smoke and air toxics. Environment Australia, Canberra.
Todd, J. (2003) Wood-smoke handbook: woodheaters, firewood and operator practice. Department of the Environment and Heritage, Canberra and NSW Environment Protection Authority, Sydney.
Treweek, A. (1997) Identifying alternatives to using remnant eucalypt vegetation for firewood in the ACT through consultation with residents and farmers. Report to Land and Water Resources Research and Development Corporation.
Links to another web site
Opens a pop-up window