« North Commonwealth Marine Reserves Network
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR MARINE USERS
Transitional arrangements for new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserve estate
From the declaration of Commonwealth marine reserves in November 2012 until management plans come into effect in July 2014, transitional arrangements apply.
- Under the transitional arrangements, there are NO CHANGES ON THE WATER for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserves estate.
- NOTE: There are no changes to management arrangements in the marine reserves that existed prior to the establishment of the new reserves, that is, the same restrictions on activities will continue to apply even where those reserves have been incorporated into new reserves.
Name||Limmen Commonwealth Marine Reserve
Area|| 1399 km2
Depth range||5-20 m (approx.)
Types of zoning
- Multiple Use Zone - IUCN Category VI-1399 km2
Major conservation values
- Important resting area for turtles between egg laying (internesting area), for the threatened flatback turtle
- Example of an ecosystem of the Northern Shelf Province (including the Pellew meso-scale bioregions)
- Includes one key ecological feature:
- Gulf of Carpentaria coastal zone (high productivity; biodiversity and endemism; aggregations of marine life)