Zoning and activities
Five types of zones are represented within the South-west Commonwealth Marine Reserves Network. These are:
- Marine National Park Zone (IUCN Category II)
- Habitat Protection Zone (IUCN Category IV)
- Multiple Use Zone (IUCN Category VI)
- Special Purpose Zone (IUCN Category VI)
- Special Purpose Zone (Oil and Gas Exclusion) (IUCN Category VI)
From 17 November 2012 and until the network management plan is in effect, there are no 'on-the-water' changes for users of new areas added to the Commonwealth marine reserve estate. The below activity table provides general advice on zoning and allowed activities that will apply once the management plan comes into effect on 1 July 2014.
- Zoning activity scheme - Overview of Zoning Scheme for the South-west Commonwealth Marine Reserves Network (PDF - 151 KB) | (Word - 397 KB)
Activities allowed in former reserves
Information on the transitional arrangements in place for the area within the former Great Australian Bight Marine Park (Commonwealth Waters) is available on the individual reserve page.