Senator the Hon Robert Hill, Minister for the Environment
The Hon Richard Amery, NSW Minister for Land and Water Conservation
5 December 1997
Community coastal repair and management projects in NSW have attracted over $1 million Coastcare funding.
Funding for the 94 projects, developed by local community groups together with local coastal managers, was announced today by Federal Environment Minister Robert Hill and NSW Land and Water Conservation Minister Richard Amery.
The projects are spread along the entire NSW coast and will continue community efforts to arrest damage to Australia's coastal and marine environment.
Senator Hill says the Commonwealth Government's $512,000 contribution to NSW Coastcare projects reflects the Government's ongoing commitment to involve the community in helping conserve and protect Australia's priceless coastal resources.
`The successful projects include a $28,251 project to be undertaken by the Yarrawarra Aboriginal Corporation for conservation and interpretation of North-East Gumbaingirr coastal sites, and a $22,100 Batemans Bay Water Garden Boardwalk construction project.
`I am pleased to see that Coastcare groups are also tackling important marine issues in the lead up to the International Year of the Ocean.'
Ocean Watch Australia will undertake an $8,750 project to educate fishermen about marine debris and the Marine and Coastal Community Network ($11,015) will monitor and help manage sea horse and sea dragon populations.
The Coastcare program is in its third year in NSW with funding provided jointly, on a matching basis, by the Commonwealth and State Governments.
Mr Amery says the Coastcare program is an important avenue for encouraging the community to get involved in looking after our coast by cleaning up beaches and stabilising dunes.
`The Anna Bay Boardriders will be doing just this along One Mile Beach near Anna Bay.
`The Community Dune Care Group ($6,570) will improve both access and the dune system and provide observation facilities to help preserve Ballina Lighthouse Beach.
`Further south near Stuart's Point, the Yarrahapini Wetland Trust ($29,400) will build an elevated boardwalk across an area of regenerating mangroves at the Yarrahapini Wetland Reserve as part of the indigenous component of Coastcare.'
Today's announcement coincided with events surrounding Coastcare Week (1-7 December 1997).
Coastcare is the community cornerstone of Coast and Clean Seas - the Federal Government's $125 million coastal and marine program under the Natural Heritage Trust. It is implemented as a partnership between the Commonwealth, States and Local Governments.
Matt Brown (Senator Hill's office) (02) 6277 7640
Barbara Jones (Environment Australia) (02) 6274 1296
Dennis Driver (Mr Amery’s office) (02) 9372 0123
Sara Williams (Land and Water Conservation Dept) (02) 9372 7606
5 December 1997
Note to Editors:
For details about individual projects contact your local Coastcare Facilitator:
Far North Region, Suzanne Byrne (02) 6645 2266
Mid North Coast, Lachie Whetham (02) 6591 6351
Central Coast/Sydney, Melissa Bradbury (02) 9970 1169
South Coast, Peter Chapple (02) 4232 3652.
1997-98 Coastcare Community Grants:
- Angels Beach Community Dune Care. Littoral Rainforest Restoration - Black Head Public Recreation Reserve. $16,088
- Anna Bay Boardriders. One Mile Beach Clean Up and Dune Care. $2,670
- Awaba Bay Landcare Group. Awaba Bay Foreshore Walk - Stage 1. $6,600
- Ballina Lighthouse Beach Community Dune Care Group Inc. Dune Access Via Nature Trails and Observation Areas. $6,570
- Barrenjoey Billygoats/NPWS. Barrenjoey Headland Bushland Restoration Project. $13,848
- Batemans Bay Water Garden Management Committee. Batemans Bay Water Garden Boardwalk. $22,100
- Bega Environment Network. Educational School Show for International Year of the Ocean. $19,610
- Berkeley Development Association. Wollamai Point Weed Removal and Native Restoration Project. $7,883
- Birrigan Gargle Local Aboriginal Land Council. Ngaru Coastal Dune Restoration Project. $8,250
- Black Rocks Community Dunecare Group. Bitou Bush Control and Native Species Protection and Recovery Program, Bundjalung National Park. $6,711
- Bombo Headland Landcare Group. Restoration of Boneyards Indigenous Vegetation. 2,000
- Broken Head Protection Association Inc. Habitat Restoration and Rehabilitation - Broken Head. $5,025
- Brooms Head Reserve Improvement Committee. Brooms Head Reserve Revegetation Project. $3,600
- Bundeena Reserve Bushcare Group. Bush Regeneration in Bundeena Reserve - Stage 2. $3,000
- Burrill Lake and District Progress Association. Sedge Watch - Monitoring Saltmarsh Communities in Burrill Lake. $7,248
- Burrill Lake Lakewatch. Wetland and Foreshore Protection - Burrill Lake. $6,800
- Burrill Lake Lakewatch. South West Arm Burrill Lake Foreshore Protection. $4,200
- Byron Environment Centre Inc. Byron Bay Stormwater Education Project. $11,588
- Cabin Communities Landcare Group. Midden Stabilisation, North Era Beach, Royal National Park, NSW. $6,747
- Camden Haven Marine Museum. Grey Nurse Shark Migration Project. $3,750
- Cliffhangers Bushcare Group. Native Vegetation Restoration at North Wollongong. $12,250
- Coastal Environment Centre. Focus on Coastcare - Stage 3 in on-going Coastal Education for the Entire Community. $25,800
- Coffs Harbour City Council. Ocean View Beach Access Steps. $2,860
- Coffs Harbour City Council. Ocean View Headland Access Project. $4,800
- Coffs Harbour City Council. Sawtell Beach Reserve - Littoral Rainforest Regeneration Project. $8,500
- Coffs Harbour City Council. South Sapphire Beach Regeneration Project. $2,000
- Coomaditchie United Aboriginal Corporation Southern Ocean Seabird Study Association. Revegetation of Seabird Breeding Habitat - The Five Islands Nature Reserve. $18,600
- Craigie Park Landcare. Tuggerah Lakes Wetlands and Buffer Strip Rehabilitation. $23,082
- Culburra Beach Landcare/Dunecare and Culburra Beach Progress Association. Culburra/Northern Jervis Bay Integrated Bitou Control Program. $17,834
- Curl Curl Lagoon Committee/Warringah Council. Curl Curl Lagoon Stormwater Treatment. $16,500
- Diggers Camp Dune Care Group. Diggers Camp-Wilsons Headland Restoration Project. $18,900
- Eastlakes Historical Society and Museum Inc. Reids Mistake Reborn. $13,150
- Environmental Defender's Office. Empowering Coastal Protection - Increasing Understanding of Environmental Law. $19,170
- Environmental Training and Employment (Northern Rivers) Inc. (EnviTE). North Coast Coastcare Workshops. $6,846
- Evans Head Coastal Landcare Group. Evans Head Dune Restoration - Airforce Beach. $11,800
- Ford Park Beautification Group. Main Beach Dune Rehabilitation and Beach Access Program - Merimbula. $8,035
- Foundation for National Park and Wildlife. Regeneration/Interpretation Of South Head. $16,800
- Friends of Avalon Dune Dunecare Group. Avalon Dunes Stabilisation and Revegetation Project. $12,500
- Goolawah Dune Care Group. Goolawah Reserve Dune Care Littoral Rainforest Regeneration. $2,826
- Gordons Bay Scuba Diving Club. Gordons Bay Underwater Nature Trail. $3,270
- Greater Taree City Council. Investigation into the Control of the Environmental Weed Asparagus. $4,053
- Harrington/Crowdy Tourist Association Inc. and Harrington Landcare. Crowdy Bay to Harrington (Coastal) Management Plan. $12,280
- Hat Head Community Dune Care Group. Re-establishment and Management of Endemic Littoral Rainforest and Hind Dune Flora Communities. $6,185
- Hawke Dive Club - c/- Action Divers Tuncurry. Survey of Biological Marine Environment at Seal Rocks. $18,700
- Healthy Cities Shoalhaven. Manyana to Mollymook Bitou Bush Control Program - Stage 2. $16,840
- Hill 60 Bush Restoration and Landcare Group. Hill 60 Headland Regeneration Project - Stage 3. $5,350
- Hungry Head Beach Reserve Management Committee. Hungry Head Management Plan and Headland Upgrading. $5,200
- Jirrawich Aboriginal Cultural Training Association Inc. North Head Heritage Access Trail - Ulladulla Harbour. $30,000
- Kareena Park Bushcare Group. Rehabilitation of Foreshore Vegetation in Kareena Park, Caringbah - Stage 3. $2,500
- Kurunulla Aboriginal Corporation. Restoration of Burial Cave. $1,250
- Lake Cathie Community Dune Care. Lake Cathie Estuary and Forshore Bitou Control. $7,361
- Lilli Pilli Point Bushcare Group. Rehabilitation of Littoral Rainforest at Lilli Pilli Point - Stage 2. $3,000
- Manning Estuary and Coastline Management Committee. Manning Bitou Bush Control Strategy Plan. $11,540
- Marine and Coastal Community Network. Dragon Search - A Community Based Seadragon and Seahorse Monitoring Project. $11,015
- Marine and Coastal Community Network. Survey and Education Strategy for Marine Impacts at South West Rocks. $17,300
- Minnamurra Environment Group. Regeneration Swamp Oak Forest/Rocklow Creek Wetlands - Stage 3. $13,748
- Mollymook Dunecare Group. Bannisters Point Littoral Rainforest Restoration Project. $5,146
- Norah Head Ratepayers Residents and Coastcare Assoc. Norah Head Headland Nature Trail and Bush Street Reserve. $29,683
- Norah Head Surfing Fraternity Inc. Gravelly Beach - Soldiers Point Headland Lookout. $12,802
- North Sydney Council Bushland Management Team. North Sydney Coastal Reserves Rehabilitation Plans. $20,730
- NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. Congwong Beach Dune Rehabilitation Project. $5,000
- NSW NPWS/Myall Beach Access Committee. Myall Coast Beach Access Enhancement and Dune Protection. $5,300
- Oatley Flora and Fauna Conservation Society Inc. Oatley Bay Creek and Estuary Restoration and Community Education Project. $23,000
- Ocean Watch Australia Ltd. Fishermen Educating Fishermen about Marine Debris - Pilot Project. $8,750
- Pacific Palms Promotional Group Inc. Cellito Beach Littoral Rainforest Boardwalk. $4,000
- Pittwater Natural Heritage Association. Malo Road Beach Reserve of Whale Beach. $4,560
- Port Stephens Native Flora Garden Committee. Fly Point Headland Invasive Species Eradication. $7,830
- Project AWARE Volunteers, Pittwater Council, Sydney Coastal Councils. Project AWARE on the Rocks Assisting Other Communities. $29,276
- Red Rock Recreation Reserve Trust No. 64746. Red Rock Headland - Erosion Management. $4,348
- Redhead Landcare. Rehabilitation of Major Blow-outs Redhead Beach. $13,538
- Shellharbour City Council. Revegetation of Koona Bay Reserve, Oak Flats. $5,950
- Soldiers Point/ Salamander Bay Tidy Towns. Salt Water Tidal Erosion Control Salamander Bay. $3,500
- Solitary Islands Underwater Research Group Inc. Solitary Islands Marine Park Underwater Rope Trail. $10,345
- South Golden Beach Progress Association Inc. South Golden Beach Dune Fencing and Viewing Platform Project. $3,582
- Strathfield Regional Community College. Reclaiming the Bushland in Garie Valley. $22,150
- Suffolk Park Progress Association Inc. in Association with Suffolk Park Dunecare. Suffolk Park Dune Regeneration - Stage 1. $3,165
- Sutherland Shire Environment Centre. Towra Point Nature Reserve Weed Removal Project. $12,510
- T.E.N.T.A.C.L.E. Inc. Regeneration Remnant Littoral Rainforest Wyrrabaiong National Park. $29,340
- Tabourie Lake Ratepayers and Residents Association. Monitoring Nutrient Levels and Algal Blooms in Tabourie Lake. $12,800
- Tathra Landcare Group Inc. Tathra Beach Rehabilitation and Community Education Project. $1,800
- Termeil Landcare Group. Termeil Lake Foreshore Restoration Project. $1,800
- Tilligerry Habitat Association/Worimi LALC. Snapper Island Nature Reserve Goat and Weed Control. $2,940
- Tilligerry Tidy Town/Landcare. Tilligerry Nature Corridors. $7,430
- Trees in Newcastle (T.I.N) Inc. Newcastle Coastal Headland Vegetation Management Study. $3,670
- Tuross Lakes Preservation Group Inc. Coastal Management Plan - McWilliam Park, Tuross Head. $8,880
- Tuross/Coila Estuary Management Committee. Tuross Estuary - Low Cost Erosion Protection Trials. $12,400
- Tweed Dunecare Advisory Committee. Tweed Coast Littoral Rainforest Management Plan and Implementation. $24,250
- Valley Watch Inc. Sleeper Island Rehabilitation Project Clarence River, NSW. $3,880
- Vincentia Ratepayers and Residents Association Inc. Blenheim Beach Walkway and Reserve. $8,000
- Wamberal Terrigal Dune Care Assoc. Wamberal Terrigal Beach Dune Restoration. $4,838
- Wooli Coastcare. Wooli Regeneration and Protection Project. $3,148
- Wyongah Urban Landcare. Stabilisation of Prawn Beach Access Road and Rehabilitation of Battens - Stage 2. $4,250
- Yarrahapinni Wetland Trust. Yarrahapinni Boardwalk - Stage One. $29,400
- Yarrawarra Aboriginal Corporation. Conservation and Interpretation of North-East Gumbaingirr Coastal Sites. $28,251