Aim: Promote Australia's strategic, scientific, environmental and economic interests in the Antarctic.
In 2009 the Australian Government reaffirmed the importance of Antarctica to national interests and key policy priorities.
- Lead and collaborate with international programs that further Australia's research and policy interests.
- Enhance Australia's capability to deliver on Antarctic priorities, and deriving optimum benefit from our assets in the region.
- Gain recognition as an international leader in Antarctic science and environmental management.
- Maintain and reinforce Australian sovereignty in the Antarctic territory.
- Media release: Australian Government commits to Antarctica - 13 May 2013
- Media release: New bio-secure hub for Antarctic gateway - 17 April 2013
- Media release: Australian voyage in search of the world's largest creature - 22 January 2013
- Media release: Dawn breaks on a new Antarctic era - 9 January 2013
- Media release: Working together to learn more about Southern Ocean whales - 3 January 2013
- Speech: Eavesdropping on the elusive blue whale at Australian Antarctic Division, Hobart, Tasmania - 4 October 2012
- Media release: Eavesdropping on the elusive blue whale - 4 October 2012
- Media release: Antarctic nations working together - 10 August 2012
- Media release: Recipients of the 2012 Antarctic Medal Announced - 21 June 2012
- Media release: Environmental protection in Antarctica strengthened - 18 June 2012
- Media release: Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting 2012 - 12 June 2012
- Media release: Greater protection endorsed for Antarctica - 29 February 2012
- Media release: Traversing Antarctica: the Australian experience - 1 December 2011
- Media release: Antarctic Bill strengthens environmental protection and safety - 23 November 2011
- Media release: Fellowship to tell the story of the first woman to see Antarctica - 14 October 2011
- Media release: International celebration of significant Antarctic milestone - 4 October 2011
- Media release: Australia celebrates fifty years of the Antarctic treaty - 23 June 2011
- News updates on the Australian Antartic Division website