National Strategy for Ecologically Sustainable Development
Endorsed by the Council of Australian Governments
ISBN 0 644 27253 8
Part 3 Intersectoral Issues - Chapter 9
To protect biological diversity and maintain ecological processes and systems.
This can best be done by improving the level of coordination of the current range of activities in this area; implementing Australia's international obligations; strengthening the practical skills and knowledge of land managers; completing strategies for the management of plant and animal pests, improving management of veterinary chemicals, and conserving native vegetation, including encouraging off-reserve conservation.
- to develop effective mechanisms for minimising human, pest plant and animal impacts on ecological systems, expand habitats for native species of plants and animals, while maintaining a diverse and healthy economy
- continue cooperative work, actions and initiatives contained under the Landcare, Save the Bush and Endangered Species Programs and the National Forests Policy Statement
- ensure mechanisms, including legislation, for the protection, conservation and management of flora and fauna reflect ESD principles
- through ANZECC, and in consultation with relevant Ministerial Councils, assess the implications of the Convention on Biological Diversity and the draft National Strategy for the Conservation of Australia's Biological Diversity
- on the basis of this assessment, finalise, implement, monitor, and review the National Strategy for the Conservation of Australia's Biological Diversity
- at the Commonwealth level, and following consultation with States and Territories, work towards ratification of the Convention on Biological Diversity. Once it comes into effect, obligations under this Convention would include:
- identification and monitoring important components of biological diversity
- measures for in situ and ex situ conservation
- encouraging integration of the mechanisms for conservation and sustainable use of biological diversity into decision making processes
- reporting on measures taken to implement the convention and their effectiveness