Canberra Office Operations Environmental Policy
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities, 2013
Reflecting our role in the sustainable management of Australia's environment, we are committed to conducting our work in an environmentally responsible way.
Chair, Canberra Environmental Performance Committee
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
All employees in the department's Canberra offices have a responsibility to work sustainably and reduce the negative impact of their own activities on the environment.
All managers are responsible for implementing this policy and are accountable for environmental performance in their areas of responsibility.
To improve our environmental performance we will:
- foster a culture of environmental responsibility at work
- comply with applicable environmental laws, government policies and agreements to which we subscribe and ensure that all who work for or on behalf of us also comply
- regularly review all aspects of our work that have, or could have, an environmental impact and achieve targets to minimise all significant environmental impacts
- prevent or minimise pollution, waste, resource depletion, greenhouse gas emissions and other negative environmental impacts resulting from our work
- monitor and report our performance with a focus on continual improvement, and ensure our environmental decision making is transparent
- provide workplace environmental training and education to all who work for us
- maintain a certified (ISO 14001:2004) Environmental Management System for the John Gorton Building and 33 Allara Street
- encourage and promote innovative environmental practice
- encourage suppliers to adopt environmentally sound practices.
We will review this policy every three years and communicate it to our staff and the public.