Numbers of Living Species in Australia and the World
Australian Biodiversity Information Services, Toowoomba, Australia
A Report for the Department of the Environment and Heritage, September 2005
ISBN (printed) 978 0 642 56849 6 OUT OF PRINT
ISBN (online) 978 0 642 56850 2
Link to the online 2nd edition
The first edition is no longer available and is superceded by the second edition.
The following correction is required for the table on p. 34:
If you received a printed copy of the report prior to 24 January 2007 please contact ABRS for an erratum.
If you downloaded the PDF version prior to 24 January 2007, simply download the new and corrected PDF.
Updates and corrections
Updates and corrections have been made to the online html version of the original report published in 2006.
- To obtain hard copies or download a PDF version of the original Report
- Copyright Information
- Executive Summary
- Detailed discussion by Group
- Hemichordata (hemichordates)
- Echinodermata (starfish)
- Insecta (insects)
- Arachnida (spiders, scorpions, etc.)
- Myriapoda (millipedes and centipedes)
- Crustacea (crabs, lobsters)
- Onychophora (velvet worms)
- Mollusca (molluscs, shellfish)
- Annelida (segmented worms)
- Nematoda (nematodes, roundworms)
- Acanthocephala (thorny-headed worms)
- Platyhelminthes (flat worms)
- Cnidaria (jellyfish, sea anenomes, and corals)
- Porifera (sponges)
- Other Invertebrates
- Summary Table
- Updates and Corrections
© Commonwealth of Australia 2006
This work is copyright. Apart from any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part may be reproduced by any process without prior written permission from the Commonwealth, available from the Australian Government Department of the Environment and Water Resources.