Coral Sea Fishery
Agency submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of the Environment and Water Resources, 30 August 2007
- Strategic & export reassessment report (PDF - 337 KB)
- Annual Management Arrangements Booklet - 2007/08 (PDF - 302 KB)
- Attachment A - Statement of Management Arrangements (PDF - 297 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Coral Sea Fishery is valid until 19 November 2007 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment and Water Resources (DEW) received three documents - the Strategic and Export Reassessment Report - Coral Sea Fishery, August 2007, the Statement of Management Arrangements, Coral Sea Fishery 2007; and the supplementary 2007/08 Coral Sea fishery Annual Management Arrangements Booklet from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority in August 2007. The Reassessment Report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEW assessment. The three documents provided by AFMA will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Coral Sea Fishery as managed consistent with the Fisheries Act 1991 and the Statement of Management Arrangements, Coral Sea Fishery 2007, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Coral Sea Fishery under the provisions of the Fisheries Act 1991 and the Statement of Management Arrangements, Coral Sea Fishery 2007.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you were invited to comment on this proposal.
Closing date for comments was Friday 28 September 2007.