Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery - Agency submission 2010
2010 Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Australian Fisheries Management Authority, March 2010
- Submission for reassessment of the Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery (PDF - 352KB) | (Word - 1780KB) - 2010
- Ecological Risk Assessment for Effects of Fishing (PDF - 355KB) | (Word - 867KB) - June 2007
- Residual Risk Assessment of the Level 2 Ecological Risk Assessment Species Results (PDF - 146KB) | (Word - 461KB) - December 2009
- Rapid Quantitative Risk Assessment for Fish Species in Seven Commonwealth Fisheries (PDF - 1132KB) - April 2009
- Ecological Risk Management Report (PDF - 355KB) | (Word - 867KB) - December 2009
- Letter to DEWHA regarding Temporary Order (PDF - 96KB) - October 2009
- Letter to DEWHA regarding legislative amendments to SBT (PDF - 91KB)
- The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry's progress on meeting recommendations 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 (PDF - 28KB) | (Word - 48KB)
About the submission
Environmental Assessment of the Commonwealth Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery (SBTF) under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
The current export approval for the Commonwealth SBTF is valid until 25 June 2010 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission Annual Status Report 2010, Ecological Risk Management Report December 2009, Residual Risk Assessment of the Level 2 Ecological Risk Assessment Species Results December 2009, Rapid Quantitative Risk Assessment for Fish Species in Seven Commonwealth Fisheries April 2009 and Ecological Risk Assessment for Effects of Fishing June 2007 from the Australian Fisheries Management Authority in February 2010. The submission has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Commonwealth SBTF as managed consistent with the Fisheries Management Act 1995 and the Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery Management Plan 1995 and Fisheries (Southen Bluefin Tuna Fishery) Regulations 1995, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Commonwealth SBTF under the provisions of the Fisheries Management Act 1995, Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery Management Plan 1995 and the Fisheries (Southen Bluefin Tuna Fishery) Regulations 1995.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal. Closing date for comments is Thursday 22 April 2010.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374 or email
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.