Torres Strait Finfish Fishery
Declaration of an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation
Strategic assessment under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
- Declaration of an approved Wildlife Trade Operation - Gazetted on Thursday 20 November 2008, S247 (PDF - 326 KB)
I, CLAIRE HOWLETT, Acting Assistant Secretary, Marine Biodiversity Policy Branch, as Delegate of the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts, have considered in accordance with section 303FN of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act) the application from the Protected Zone Joint Authority, public comments on the proposal as required under section 303FR, and advice on the ecological sustainability of the operation. I am satisfied on those matters specified in section 303FN of the EPBC Act. I hereby declare the operations for the harvesting of specimens that are, or are derived from, fish or invertebrates, other than specimens of species listed under Part 13 of the EPBC Act, taken in the Torres Strait Finfish Fishery, as defined in the Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984 and the Torres Strait Fisheries Regulations 1985, to be an approved Wildlife Trade Operation, in accordance with subsection 303FN (2) and paragraph (10)(d), for the purposes of the EPBC Act.
Unless amended or revoked, this declaration:
- is valid until 25 November 2011 and;
- is subject to the conditions applied under section 303FT specified in the Schedule.
Dated this 18 day of November 2008
Delegate of the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts
Under the Administrative Appeals Tribunal Act 1975, a person whose interests are affected by this decision may apply for a statement of reasons and for independent review of the decision. An application for a statement of reason may be made in writing to Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts within 28 days of the date of the declaration. An application for independent review may be made to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal on payment of the relevant fee within 28 days of the date of the declaration, or if reasons are sought, within 28 days of receipt of reasons. Further information may be obtained from the Director, Sustainable Fisheries Section.
Declaration of the harvest operations of the Torres Strait Finfish Fishery (TSFF) as an approved Wildlife Trade Operation, November 2008
Additional provisions (section 303FT)
Relating to the harvesting of fish specimens that are, or are derived from, fish or invertebrates, other than specimens of species listed under Part 13 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act), taken in the TSFF.
- Operation of the fishery will be carried out in accordance with the management regime in force under the Commonwealth Torres Strait Fisheries Act 1984 and Torres Strait Fisheries Regulations 1985.
- The Protected Zone Joint Authority (PZJA) to inform the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) of any intended amendments to the management arrangements that may affect the assessment of the TSFF against the criteria on which EPBC Act decisions are based.
- The PZJA to
- produce and present reports to DEWHA annually as per Appendix B to the Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries - 2nd Edition; and
- include in the annual report information on the status of transitional management arrangements for the TSFF, including the number of non-Traditional Inhabitant sunset licenses and Traditional Inhabitant Boat licenses continuing to operate in the fishery, total catch from these operations and progress towards future management arrangements for the TSFF.