Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery - Agency submission 2011
Agency submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Northern Territory Department of Resources, April 2011
Agency submission on ecological sustainability
About the submission
The current export approval for the Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery is valid until 27 June 2011, and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities received a submission, Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery Reassessment Report June - 2011, from the Northern Territory Department of Resources in April 2011. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the previous Australian Government assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery, as managed consistent with the Northern Territory Fisheries Act 1988 and Fisheries Regulations, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery under the provisions of the Northern Territory Fisheries Act 1988 and Fisheries Regulations.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Download the submission
- Northern Territory Aquarium Fishery Reassessment Report June - 2011 (PDF - 51KB) | (Word - 92KB)
- Attachment 1 - Coral trigger points 2009 (PDF - 93KB) | (Word - 139KB)
- Aquarium Fishery Status Report 2009 (PDF - 45KB)
Call for public comments open from 13 May 2011 until 10 June 2011.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section (02) 6274 1917.