Queensland Coral Reef Fin Fish Fishery
Submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Australian Fisheries Management Authority, April 2008
- Deep Water Fin Fish Fishery - Annual status report - 2006 / 2007 (PDF - 698 KB)
- Deep Water Fin Fish Fishery - Annual status report - 2007 (PDF - 194 KB)
- Deep Water Fin Fish Fishery - Annual status report - July 2006 (PDF - 501 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Queensland Deep Water Fin Fish Fishery (DWFFF) is valid until 28 October 2008 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission — Annual Status Report July 2006, Annual Status Report 2007 financial year and Annual Status Report 2007 from the Queensland Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries in May 2008. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the DWFFF as managed consistent with the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and the Fisheries Regulation 2008, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the DWFFF under the provisions of the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and the Fisheries Regulation 2008.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opens Tuesday 27 May 2008 and the closing date for comments is 4 July 2008.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6274 2455, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section on (02) 6274 1917.