Queensland Mud Crab Fishery
Environmental Assessment of the Queensland Mud Crab Fishery under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999
Fisheries Queensland, 2012
Agency application on ecological sustainability
About the application
The current export approval for the Queensland Mud Crab Fishery is valid until 24 August 2012 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities received an application from Fisheries Queensland in May 2012, Progress report 2012 - Mud Crab Fishery, along with annual status reports for 2009, 2010 and 2011. The application has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd Edition and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the previous Australian Government assessment. The application will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the Queensland Mud Crab Fishery, as managed consistent with the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and the Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008, as an approved wildlife trade operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act, and
- including in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the Queensland Mud Crab Fishery under the provisions of the Queensland Fisheries Act 1994 and the Queensland Fisheries Regulation 2008.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
Download the application
- Progress report 2012 - Mud Crab Fishery
- Annual status report 2011 Mud Crab Fishery
- Annual status Report 2010 Mud Crab Fishery
- Annual status report 2009 Mud Crab Fishery
The call for public comments is open from 8 June 2012 until 9 July 2012.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section (02) 6274 1917.