South Australian Lakes and Coorong Fishery - Agency submission 2008
Agency submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Primary Industries and Resources SA, August 2008
- Ecological Assessment of the South Australian Lakes and Coorong Fishery - Reassessment Report (PDF - 348 KB)
- Management Plan for the South Australian Lakes and Coorong Fishery (PDF - 1688 KB)
- South Australian Fisheries Resources: Current Status and Recent Trends 2006
About the submission
The current export approval for the South Australian Lakes and Coorong Fishery is valid until 25 November 2008 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission - Ecological Assessment of the Lakes and Coorong Fishery Reassessment Report from the Fisheries Division of Primary Industries and Resources South Australia in September 2008. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DEWHA assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the South Australian Lakes and Coorong Fishery as managed consistent with the Fisheries Management Act 2007, Fisheries Management (Lakes and Coorong Fishery) Regulations 2006 and the Fisheries Management (General) Regulations 2007 as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the South Australian Lakes and Coorong Fishery as managed consistent with the Fisheries Management Act 2007, Fisheries Management (Lakes and Coorong Fishery) Regulations 2006 and the Fisheries Management (General) Regulations 2007.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opens Tuesday 9 September 2008 and the closing date for comments is Wednesday 8 October 2008.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Policy and Assessment Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6274 9374 or email email@example.com
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Policy and Assessment Section on (02) 6274 1917.