Tasmanian Kelp Fishery
Agency submission for environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Kelp Industries Pty Ltd, 2011
Agency submission on ecological sustainability
About the submission
The current export approval for the King Island Cast Bull Kelp Fishery is valid until 17 August 2011 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (DSEWPaC) received a submission - King Island Cast Bull Kelp Fishery Approval from Kelp Industries Pty Ltd in May 2011. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original DSEWPaC assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the King Island Cast Bull Kelp Fishery as managed consistent with the Tasmanian Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995 as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including in the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the King Island Cast Bull Kelp Fishery under the provisions of the Tasmanian Living Marine Resources Management Act 1995.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
- The agency submission - Tasmanian Kelp Fishery reassessment application Letter
- Attachment A - SEWPaC letter - April 2011
- Attachment B - Final Kelp Report 2008-2011
- Attachment C - Birds Letter
Call for public comments open from 20 June 2011 until 20 July 2011.
Please submit your comments to the address below.
Sustainable Fisheries Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6275 9374, or email email@example.com
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Section (02) 6274 1917.