Western Australian Marine Aquarium Fish Managed Fishery - Agency submission 2008
Environmental assessment under the EPBC Act
Department of Fisheries, Western Australia, 2008
- Application to the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts on the Marine Aquarium Fish managed Fishery (PDF - 113 KB)
- Example of Fishery Logbook (EXCEL - 32 KB)
- Daily Logbook Explanatory Notes (PDF - 41 KB)
About the submission
The current export approval for the Western Australia (WA) Marine Aquarium Fish Managed Fishery is valid until 25 October 2008 and the fishery is now due for assessment for ongoing export accreditation. The Department of the Environment, Heritage, Water and the Arts (DEWHA) received a submission – Application to the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts on the Marine Aquarium Fish Managed Fishery, from the Department of Fisheries, Western Australia in June 2008. The report has been prepared to address the Australian Government Guidelines for the Ecologically Sustainable Management of Fisheries, 2nd edition (the Guidelines) and to provide updates on the implementation of recommendations made in the original assessment. The submission will be used to assess the operation of the fishery for the purposes of Parts 13 and 13A of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Consideration will be given to:
- declaring the WA Marine Aquarium Fish Managed Fishery as managed consistent with the WA Fish Resources Management Act 1994, as an Approved Wildlife Trade Operation under section 303FN of the EPBC Act; and
- including on the list of exempt native specimens, specimens harvested in the WA Marine Aquarium Fish Managed Fishery under the provisions of the WA Fish Resources Management Act 1994.
In accordance with the provisions of sections 303FR and 303DC of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal.
The public comment period opens Thursday 10 July 2008. Closing date for comments is Friday 8 August 2008.
The submission is available for downloading above.
Please submit your comments to the address below:
Sustainable Fisheries Policy and Assessment Section
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts
GPO Box 787
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Submissions may also be sent by fax to (02) 6274 2455, or email
Any comments received will form part of the documentation provided to the Australian Government Minister for the Environment, Heritage and the Arts for a decision. Copies of comments may be made available to other persons with a particular interest in the application. If you wish to claim confidentiality for any part of your comments, would you please discuss the matter with the Director of the Sustainable Fisheries Policy and Assessment Section on (02) 6274 1917.