The former High Court Building
National Heritage Assessment
Australian Heritage Council
The names of individual assessors and nominators have been removed for privacy reasons
About this assessment
The Australian Heritage Council found the former High Court Building of outstanding national heritage significance as the first headquarters of the High Court of Australia. As the home of the High Court from 1928 to 1980 the building provided important judicial services, and functioned as the principal registry of the High Court from 1928 to 1976. Important cases were researched in its library, and heard and decided in its Courts. In Court Room One, which accommodated the Full Bench, a number of Constitutional and other landmark judgements were made changing the political and social fabric of the nation.
The Council's final assessment report as given to the Minister is attached.
In some cases the Minister will have made amendments to such matters as boundaries, values and descriptions, before listing the place. For final listing data visit the Australian Heritage Database or the National Heritage Listing for The former High Court Building .