Protecting Heritage Places

10 steps to help protect the natural and cultural significance of places
Australian Heritage Commission, 2000

Step 2: Who has an interest? (continued)

Types of individuals and organisations who might be interested

People or organisations involved might include the following:

Local government:

  • elected representatives or councillors
  • advisory committees
  • local council officers, for example, conservation or environmental officers, heritage officers, strategic or statutory planning officers, works managers or engineers
  • regional organisations of councils

Community organisations:

  • historical societies
  • local Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander community organisations or land councils
  • natural environmental groups such as field naturalists or bird watchers; conservation councils
  • friends groups or committees of management for local heritage places, for example, bushland reserves or the local museum
  • a local branch of the National Trust
  • catchment management or Coastcare, Waterwatch and Landcare groups
  • Rotary, Apex or other service clubs
  • special interest clubs and associations who use the place you are interested in, for example, arts groups, sporting clubs, bushwalking clubs, scout and guide groups, recreational fishing clubs or diving clubs.

Indigenous communities, organisations and individuals:

  • traditional owners or custodians
  • local Indigenous community members
  • local, regional, State or Territory Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander land councils
  • Native Title organisations
  • Indigenous heritage officers
  • State or Territory offices of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs and site authorities
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission regional, State or Territory offices.

Commonwealth, State or Territory government departments:

  • agriculture, arts, electricity and water, environment, heritage, national parks, planning, resources, tourism and transport departments.


  • leaseholders and tenants
  • freehold title holders
  • Native Title holders
  • custodial owners (Indigenous people who have responsibility for caring for the land).

Schools and educational institutions:

  • local primary and secondary schools (public and private)
  • tertiary institutions.

Other associations, organisations and individuals:

  • professional organisations representing natural and cultural heritage specialists, for example, Australia ICOMOS, the Australian Association of Consulting Archaeologists, the Environment Institute of Australia, the Ecological Society of Australia and the Geological Society of Australia main street committees, chambers of commerce and progress associations
  • regional development organisations
  • industry organisations
  • regional tourism associations
  • private sector developers, business owners or corporations
  • individuals with a personal or work-related interest in some aspect of heritage, for example, local botanists or bird-watchers.

Check the Resources section of this Website for contact details of organisations that are a first port of call in identifying interests.