Breaksea Island Lighthouse Restoration: significance of site
Breaksea Island was named by Captain George Vancouver in 1791. The lighthouse and jetty were built in 1858, and the lighthouse and the two lighthouse keepers' cottages were extended in 1889. The lighthouse and its complexes contributed to the successful navigation of ships along the coast and the development of Albany as a port.
The Island is recognised as a place of cultural heritage significance and is included on the State Register of Heritage Places.