Conservation of Brennan and Geraghty's Store and Residences: significance of site
The Store was constructed in 1871 by Irish immigrants and brothers-in-law Patrick Brennan and Martin Geraghty, adapting a cottage they had built in 1861. The 1880s saw the peak of the Brennan and Geraghty's business empire in a boom period for Maryborough and Queensland. The store was operated for 100 years by descendants of Geraghty family, closing in 1971. It was purchased by the National Trust in 1975 and opened to the public in 1990.
Brennan and Geraghty's Store is a rare and extremely significant example of a late 19th century store which still contains an in-situ collection of merchandise and records dating from the early 1900s.