Rex Theatre Restoration: significance of site
The Rex Theatre is one of only approximately 11 examples of interwar Art Deco styled surviving cinema buildings in Victoria and also one of the few still serving its original purpose. Built in 1938, the cinema was originally called the Rex Theatre and seated more than 600 people.
Today, the cinema holds a reduced capacity and while the interior has been altered, the exterior detailing and internal spatial configuration and some fabric are largely intact. The cinema building is an architectural landmark in the town and it makes a significant contribution to the Charlton Heritage Commercial Precinct.