Wilcannia Council Chambers conservation and adaptation: significance of site
The Council Chambers date from approximately 1887 and play an important role in the streetscape of Wilcannia's main thoroughfare. The building is architecturally important for its late Victorian features and the exterior remains largely unchanged from its original condition. It was erected for the London Chartered Bank of Australia.
The Wilcannia Shire Council purchased the building in 1972 and have since refurbished and extended the building. As well as being an important building in the streetscape, the Council Chambers is also a link with the period in the late nineteenth century when Wilcannia was an important administrative centre and a busy riverside town that was Australia's third largest inland port.