National Heritage Investment Initiative funding outcomes 2005-2006
Projects approved for funding under the first (2005-2006) round of the National Heritage Investment Initiative national grants programme:
|Project description||Name of recipient||Location||Funding amount|
|New South Wales|
The Great Synagogue, Sydney, is the earliest surviving synagogue in NSW still in use and it has been the centre of Jewish worship and culture in Sydney since the 1870s. The project includes: restoration works to the interior of the building, reintroduction of natural ventilation, and conservation work to the suspended and wall-mounted gasoliers.
|The Great Synagogue||Sydney, NSW||$310,280|
|Brush Farm House
Brush Farm House is a significant example of an early Colonial mansion built for prominent colonial figure Gregory Blaxland. The project includes: extensive repairs, restoration and stabilisation to the fabric and structure of the building, to address its seriously deteriorated state.
|City of Ryde||Eastwood, NSW||$500,000|
|Great North Road
The Great North Road was constructed by convict gangs between 1826 and 1836 and was the first constructed road north of the Hawkesbury. The project includes: repairs to drainage and surface restoration, and removal of trees and invasive vegetation growing in stone walls and the roadway.
|Convict Trail Project||Wisemans Ferry/Mangrove Mt to Bucketty, NSW||$26,550|
|St Marys Church
St Marys is an example of High Victorian Gothic architecture and was designed by Colonial Architect Edmund Blackett. The project includes: restoring and re-pointing of the church tower to prevent further water damage; repairs to damaged stonework; and restoration of the towers pinnacles and their finials.
|The Anglican Parish of Maitland||Maitland, NSW||$119,464|
The early 20th century Willoughby incinerator complex is an outstanding example of the work of Walter Burley Griffin and Eric Nicholls. The project includes: conservation of the chimney, and rectification of drainage and rising damp.
|Willoughby City Council||Willoughby, NSW||$454,545|
|Olivewood Packing Shed
Olivewood was one of the first irrigated settlements in Australia and was established by the Chaffey Brothers from Canada. The project includes: bracing the roof structure, restoring the roof cladding, and repairing damage to the shed floors, sliding doors and windows.
|Renmark Branch of the National Trust of South Australia||Renmark, SA||$28,636|
|Adelaide Oval Scoreboard
The Edwardian scoreboard, built in 1911, is a remarkable structure that epitomises the importance of sport to Australians. The project includes: underpinning, waterproofing and structural works to the Scoreboard.
|South Australian Cricket Association||North Adelaide, SA||$271,750|
|Saltwater River Probation Station
The Saltwater River Probation Station was the first probation station established on the Tasman Peninsula and has direct association with Tasmanias place in Australia's 19th century penal history. The project includes: conservation works to the verandah covering the three sides of the convict-built superintendents house.
|Mr Ian David Hoyle||Saltwater River, TAS||$49,885|
|Former St Matthews Church
The former St Matthews Church was designed in 1841 by noted convict architect, James Blackburn, and is one of the earliest colonial and Australian examples of Romanesque style. The project includes: urgent conservation works essential to the structural integrity of the Church.
|Glenorchy City Council||Glenorchy, TAS||$45,500|
|Valleyfield Oast House
The circular Valleyfield Oast House was built in1883 and was last used to dry hops in 1973. The project will stabilise and strengthen the timber roof structure and replace the wooden roof shingles.
|Mr Richard Aston Warner||New Norfolk, TAS||$79,270|
|Old Telegraph Office
The Castlemaine Telegraph office was built in 1857 and is substantially in original condition. The project includes: conservation work to restoration of stonework on walls of the building, to address serious weathering of the original stonework.
|Castlemaine Pioneers and Old Residents Association||Castlemaine, VIC||$13,300|
|Central Hall Restoration
The Central Hall is an important example of the work of Joseph Reed, architect of some of Victorias most notable early 20th century church buildings. The project includes: major structural repair work, as well as restoration work on the leadlight windows, ceilings and internal walls.
|Australian Catholic University||Fitzroy, VIC||$436,673|
|Newman College Restoration
Newman College was designed by architect Walter Burley Griffin, together with his wife Marion Mahoney Griffin and August A. Fritsch. It is internationally recognised as a significant 20th century building. The project includes: urgent stone repair and replacement works.
|The Roman Catholic Trusts Corporation for the Diocese of Melbourne||Parkville, VIC||$454,545|
Camp Eureka is one of two surviving labour built holiday camps. It was constructed 1946 by voluntary members of the Eureka Youth League with older skilled trade unionists. The project includes: restoration and repair works to the seven buildings within the camp.
|Camp Eureka Working Collective||Yarra Junction, VIC||$120,571|
|Luna Park Carousel Organ
The Luna Park Carousel Organ is an example of ornate French Art Nouveau. The project includes: uncovering and restoring the original 1909 hand painted artwork and carved gilded timber frame of the organ façade, as well as the replacement of missing sections of the facades.
|Luna Park Melbourne||St Kilda, VIC||$72,966|
|Royal Exhibition Building
The Royal Exhibition Building is important both as a rare surviving example of the late nineteenth and early 20th century international exhibition movement, and also as the venue for the opening of the first Australian Federal Parliament. The project includes: conserving the historic fabric of the building, the buildings dome structure, as well restoration works to the buildings external joinery and stonework.
|Museums Board of Victoria||Carlton, VIC||$95,909|
|Point Hicks Light Station
The Point Hicks Light Station was built in1888 to a design of Public Works Architect Fredrick Hynes as part of a pre-Federation inter-colonial agreement. The project includes: undertaking restoration works to several of the buildings in the Light Station complex.
|Parks Victoria||Point Hicks, VIC||$67,792|
The Fremantle Prison was constructed between 1851 and 1859 and is one of Australia's most important convict sites. The project includes: conservation to the degraded fabric of the most visibly dominant structure on the site including repairs to stonework and joinery.
|Department of Housing and Works, WA||Fremantle, WA||$454,545|