As part of its commitment to addressing the impacts of firewood collection, the Australian Government, through the Bushcare National Projects program under the Natural Heritage Trust, sponsored a series of four conferences on firewood issues between June 2000 and June 2002.
- Summary of papers presented
- A Burning Issue - Bendigo, June 2000
- A Burning Issue - Armidale, May 2001
- A Biodiversity, Consumer and Human Health Issue - Launceston, June 2001
- No Smoke Without Fire - Adelaide, June 2002
The Australian Government also sponsored a two-day National Low Rainfall Farm Forestry Conference which was held on 24-25 September 2002 in Horsham, Victoria. The conference included papers on firewood.