Insurance for tour operators

If you wish to carry out a commercial activity in a Commonwealth reserve, under a permit issued by the Director of National Parks, you must have public liability insurance for an amount of at least $20 million.

This makes sure that you and your customers are covered if an accident happens. It protects you and your business against the financial risk of being found liable to a third party for death or injury, loss or damage of property or 'pure economic' loss resulting from your negligence.

If you are a tour operator, it also ensures that your tour clients can be compensated if they are injured or lose property while on one of your tours.

This insurance requirement applies to commercial activities in Kakadu, Uluru-Kata Tjuta and Booderee national parks, and the national parks on Pulu-Keeling, Norfolk, and Christmas Islands.