Commonwealth Territories of Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Christmas Island and the Coral Sea Islands | Protected species permits
About these permits
Protected species in the Territories of the Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Christmas Island and Coral Sea Islands are:
- all mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians
- some species of crabs and shrimps
- all species that occur in certain habitats on Christmas Island or certain areas in the Cocos (Keeling) Islands Territory
See a full list of protected species in Schedule 12 of the EPBC Regulations.
If you intend to conduct an activity affecting a protected species in these Commonwealth Territories (outside any Commonwealth parks or reserves within those territories) you will require a permit.
Commonwealth parks and reserves within these territories also require a permit for certain activities.
Use these forms if you are applying for a permit to take or keep a member of a protected species in these Commonwealth Territories.
Please note the permit holder:
- is not permitted to sell, injure or kill the animal
- must inform Parks Australia when the animal is returned to the wild or dies
- must allow Parks Australia staff to inspect the animal from time to time
If the permit holder wishes to take or keep additional animals or species, an additional permit is required.
How to apply for this permit
Download the application form, complete it, print it out, sign it, and post or fax the signed form with all required attachments to the address indicated on the form.
Download the permit application forms
These permit application forms is available as a Microsoft Word file.
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands protected species permit (Word - 16 KB)
- Christmas Island protected species permit (Word - 16 KB)
- Coral Sea Islands protected species permit (Word - 16 KB)
If you are unable to access the permit application forms, please contact us to organise a suitable alternative format.