Australian guide to exporting and importing hazardous waste: Applying for a permit
Information paper No. 3, Fourth Edition
Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, October 2008
About the guide
Please note: This guide is currently under review. Businesses planning to import or export waste that may be hazardous should seek advice from the Hazardous Waste Section.
The contact details are:
Hazardous Waste Section
Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
Phone: 1800 803 772
Fax: 02 6274 1164
You are also welcome to make an appointment to see us.
The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities is responsible for the implementation and administration of the Hazardous Waste (Regulation of Exports and Imports) Act 1989 (the Act).
This information paper prepared by the department, then known as the Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts:
- provide background information on the Act;
- provide guidance and advice to people and organisations intending to export, import or transit hazardous or other waste; and
- provide step by step instructions to people and organisations who need to apply for a permit under the Act.
To assist you, this information paper is divided into several sections:
- Section 2 provides an introduction and background to the Act and outlines the general requirements under the Act for exporting, importing or transiting hazardous waste;
- Section 3 outlines the process for obtaining a permit;
- Sections 4 to 8 provide step by step instructions for completing the various application forms;
- Section 9 relates to contracts;
- Section 10 relates to insurance;
- Section 11 relates to financial viability;
- Section 12 provides an application checklist; and
- Section 13 describes the application assessment procedures used by the department.