Issue: Utilisation and value of biodiversity - Incentives for biodiversity management
This is an issue under the Biodiversity theme of the Data Reporting System.
In many areas of the country some current land management practices are affecting the economic well being of whole communities through decline in farm productivity and a decline in biodiversity and ecosystem services. Governments are in a position to establish incentive schemes that encourage landholders to become partners in conserving biodiversity. Incentives are part of an integrated approach that includes planning, regulation, education, and encouragement of community participation in a partnership between landholders and governments and the community.
Incentives may include: financial incentive mechanisms (rate rebates, grants or annual payments); non-financial motivational incentives (local awards, community recognition, training and technical support, materials); and development incentives (tradable or transferable development rights). Supporting mechanisms can include: property right mechanisms (management agreements and revolving funds); and revenue raising mechanisms (environmental levies and developer contributions).
The application of financial incentives and other related mechanisms are still at an early stage throughout most of Australia.
- BD-06 Measures taken to conserve species or ecological communities on land that is not part of the national reserve system
Measures taken to conserve species or ecological communities on land that is not part of the national reserve system include incentives for biodiversity management. An inventory of measures taken will include incentive measures and is therefore an indicator for this issue.
- HS-67 Environmental awareness
Public awareness of environmental problems may be an indicator of how people will respond to incentives for biodiversity management. Awareness of environmental problems may also itself be an indicator of the issue.
- Biodiversity - Landscapes - Government action on landscape protection
- Biodiversity - Species, habitats and ecological communities - Conservation status of species and ecological communities
- Biodiversity - Species, habitats and ecological communities - Community action on species and ecological communities