Cowangs Reservoir to Bauloora Reservoir pipeline replacement
Goldenfields Water County Council
About the project
Pipeline infrastructure from the 1930's to supply water westward from the Murrumbidgee River at Jugiong to serve Young, Harden, Cootamundra, Stockinbingal, Temora, Ardlethan, Barellan and West Wyalong has badly deteriorated over time. With the pipeline from Jugiong to the Cowangs Storage Reservoirs having already been replaced, this project will replace the next 28.9 km of original pipeline from the Cowangs Reservoirs, through the Cootamundra township to the Bauloora Reservoirs.
The project will:
- improve water efficiency by reducing significant water wastage from pipeline leaks and breakages;
- reduce traffic disruptions as many of the breakages were within the Cootamundra urban area where ongoing repairs required road closure;
- reduce disruption to farming land where the pipeline runs due to reduced ongoing maintenance and repair work;
- reduce energy use by improving hydraulics enabling pumping regimes to be centred around off peak energy; and
- improve gravitational flows to compliment Goldenfields Water County Council's demand management actions.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Goldenfields Water County Council directly on 02 6977 3200.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.