Integrated Adaptation into Local Development Processes
Hindmarsh Shire Council
About the project
Hindmarsh Shire Council's project aims to prepare a profile of information specific to Hindmarsh on climate change adaptation. This project will integrate climate change adaptation into Hindmarsh Shire Council planning and facilitate regional adaptation and development. It will also include identifying the required support for social and economic protection of Shire residents and their livelihoods.
Focus areas will be:
- implications of climate change upon the Shire's built, economic, social and environmental infrastructure development; and
- engagement of private sector and community in climate change adaptation and decision making.
- prepare a profile of Hindmarsh-specific information on climate change adaptation with particular emphasis on adapting to lower water availability;
- identify the physical, human, financial, technical, planning and policy resources to support local adaptation, for example
- drainage and urban storm-water harvesting
- efficiencies for extended period of low rainfall
- preparing for extreme climate events; and
- identify the support that is required for social and economic protection of Shire residents and their livelihoods.
This project was completed in August 2012 and resulted in the production of the Hindmarsh Shire Council Climate Change Adaptation Report. This report incorporates a Climate Change Adaptation Strategy, a Township Climate Change Adaptation Strategy, an Integrated Water Management Plan and an Economic Development Position Paper.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Hindmarsh Shire Council directly on 03 5391 4444.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.