Climate change adaptation in the Wellington LGA
Wellington Shire Council
About the project
The project will:
- review Council plans in relation to water and water reliant infrastructure;
- examine and report on local economic and social implication arising from climate change; and
- examine and report on adaptation and mitigation initiatives which have potential for building economic resilience within the community.
A consultant, engaged through a competitive tender process and reporting to a Project Monitoring Committee, will produce:
- a report detailing issues which will arise from reduced water availability; and
- a draft Adaptation and Mitigation Strategy informed by their report including recommendations for Council infrastructure and future policy development.
This project was completed in July 2012 and resulted in three fully costed business cases for projects which may assist manage the potential impacts of climate change.
Further information on this project may be obtained by contacting the Wellington Shire Council directly on 02 6993 1100.
The Strengthening Basin Communities program is funded by the Australian Government's Water for the Future initiative.