COAG Strategy on Water and Wastewater Services in Remote (including Indigenous) Communities - New South Wales
Walgett and Wilcannia, NSW
Total funding: Total funding of $9.9 million, with $6.4 million provided by the Australian Government under the National Water Security Plan for Cities and Towns and the remaining funding provided by the NSW Office of Water and Walgett Shire Council.
About the project
The objective of this project is to provide sustainable and safe water supplies and wastewater services to the communities of Walgett (including the Namoi Reserve and Gingie Reserve community) and Wilcannia (including the nearby Mallee and Warrali Mission Aboriginal communities).
This project will provide water and wastewater infrastructure and build the capacity of the relevant water supply authorities to improve the management and overall security of water and wastewater services in the community.
The projects will:
- ensure an adequate water supply and improved water pressure is available to the residents of Walgett and the Namoi Reserve community,
- improve the reliability and safety of Wilcannia's water supply;
- improve the quality of treated water, ensuring the water supply continues to meet the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines, and
- improve the reliability of the system and protect public health.
The projects are scheduled to be completed by January 2014.
- $51.7 million to improve water and wastewater services in 17 Indigenous communities – media release 23 April 2010