NSW Hydrometric Network Expansion
New South Wales
Australian Government Funding: $5,949,016
About the project
The project involved the installation, upgrade or relocation of over 400 hydrometric gauging stations with real-time continuous technology that monitors water levels, water flows and connections between surface and groundwater resources throughout NSW. New systems have been enhanced or developed to accept and disseminate the real-time data. The hydrometric systems enhanced data monitoring and dissemination will ensure more effective implementation of the National Water Initiative and water sharing plans through the opportunity for realtime management of water resources in NSW.
The project has achieved:
- real-time data on water resources in NSW being available to users
- enhanced support for water management decisions including river operation, flood mitigation and environmental management
- the ability to more accurately and reliably account for water use and delivery throughout the State
- improved measurement of water delivery for irrigation, urban and environmental use
- more efficient operation of the hydrometric network including reduced operational and maintenance costs.
The project is now finished and the final report is available below.
The new sites established under the HNE project are on the NOW web page