The Hawkesbury Nepean River Recovery Project: Nutrient Smart Management Project Component
Funding: Up to $ 7,409,218 from the Australian Government.
About the project component
The Hawkesbury Nepean River Recovery Project - Nutrient Smart Management project component is a joint initiative between the NSW Department of Primary Industries and the Hawkesbury Nepean Catchment Management Authority. The project component will reduce diffuse nutrient loads from agricultural activity downstream of the major water supply dams by engaging landholders in capacity building/education and on-ground works. The agricultural land uses that will be targeted are grazing, dairy, market gardens, turf farms, and small farms.
The project component will have four concurrent phases, namely:
- Identification of landholders in priority sub-catchments
- Extension and capacity building
- On-ground works, including compost treatment
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
The project will:
- improve water quality in the Hawkesbury Nepean River System by undertaking on-ground works and capacity building/education with primary producer landholders
- reduce the export to the river system of nitrogen by 27 tonnes per year
- reduce the export to the river system of phosphorous by 6 tonnes per year.