Aquatic Weed Harvester - Hawkesbury Nepean River
Hawkesbury Nepean River, New South Wales
Australian Government Funding: $500,000
About the project
Hawkesbury River County Council's Aquatic Weed Harvester
Photo Courtesy of T Dobson, HRCC, 2008
Through this project, the Hawkesbury River County Council purchased an aquatic weed harvester to manage weed outbreaks in the Hawkesbury Nepean River.
During times of low rainfall, inadequate environmental flows in the Hawkesbury Nepean River causes severe outbreaks of aquatic weeds which has a significant impact on the water quality and river based recreation activities, and in turn affecting tourism and employment.
- Weed Harvester Penrith - Video
The project has:
- Allowed weed outbreaks to be treated before they reach a crisis point.
- Reduced reliance on herbicides.
- Enhanced the viability of local agricultural and tourism industries that rely on the river.
- Reduced the amount of damage that aquatic weeds and herbicides are having on the River system.
The project is now complete.