For researchers


For researchers

Booderee National Park is a Commonwealth reserve under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). Booderee National Park is Aboriginal owned land and waters that is jointly managed by the Director of National Parks and the traditional owners of the reserve. You will need to apply for a permit or approval to carry out scientific research, including archaeological and anthropological research, in Booderee National Park.

Please answer all five questions below to determine which permits you may require to conduct your research in Booderee National Park.

If you have answered Yes to questions 1 or 2, you can apply for one or both of those permits by completing the application form below. This application form cannot be used to apply for permits in questions 3, 4 and 5. You will need to follow the links and separately apply for those permits.

Research permit application form (DOCX - 335.51 KB)


Show all Hide all

Do you need a permit? Answer the questions to find out


1. Are you proposing to undertake scientific research inside Booderee National Park?

If Yes, you will need a permit issued under Part 12 of the EPBC Regulations. Please use the above application form.

2. Will your research involve the collection of biological resources from the Booderee National Park?

If Yes, you will need a permit issued under Part 8A of the EPBC Regulations. You do not need to complete a separate application if you are using the above application form. If you are collecting samples for commercial purposes, you will also need to enter into a benefit sharing agreement.

For more information please see accessing biological resources.

3. Will your research involve killing, injuring, taking, trading, keeping or moving a member of a listed threatened, migratory or marine species or an ecological community; or involve cetaceans?

If Yes, you may need to separately apply for a permit issued under Part 13 of the EBPC Act. You can also search for a listed species on the Species Profile and Threats Database.

You will not need this permit if:

  1. the action is done inside Booderee National Park and is authorised under a management plan for the park (please email to see if this applies to your research) or
  2. the species you propose to impact upon is listed as threatened under the EPBC Act and the action is undertaken in accordance with a recovery plan that is in force (please email to see if this applies to your research).

For more information, or to apply for a permit, go to Listed species and ecological communities or Whales, dolphins and porpoises.

4. Do you propose to import or export wildlife?

If Yes, you will need to separately apply for a Part 13A of the EBPC Act.

For more information, or to apply for a permit, please go to Permit to export for non-commercial research purposes.

5. Will your research be done in areas/waters outside the Booderee National Park?

If Yes, please contact the New South Wales Government to see what permits you may need under state law. For more information, go to get a permit (NSW) or contact NSW Fisheries.



If you have any questions please phone 02 4442 1006 or email