Behavioural response of Humpback Whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) to seismic surveys off the Sunshine Coast in Queensland
Cetacean permit application C2014-0002
- General permit application (PDF - 334.22 KB) | (DOC - 114.5 KB)
- Supplementary Form A (PDF - 299.68 KB) | (DOC - 131 KB)
- Supplementary Form A Additional Information (PDF - 236.92 KB) | (DOC - 140 KB)
- Department of Environment and Heritage Protection Scientific research and educational purposes permit Application form (PDF - 304.2 KB) | (DOCX - 150.08 KB)
- Map of study area 2014 Noosa to Caloundra (PDF - 233.93 KB) | (DOCX - 171.92 KB)
- Animal ethics application (PDF - 86.59 KB)
About the application
The Department of the Environment has received an application for a permit under Part 13, section 237 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
The application is to undertake scientific research on humpback whale (Megaptera novaengliae) within waters adjacent to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. Research activities include observing whale behaviour following exposure to seismic air gun noise. Additional activities will also include the attachment of suction cup tags, attaching satellite tags, biopsy and blow sample collection and photography. The objectives of the research are to develop a better understanding of how the noise of seismic airguns affects the behaviour of humpback whales and to develop improved mitigation strategies. Research will be undertaken by the University of Queensland, University of Sydney and Curtin University.
In accordance with the provisions of section 237(3b) of the EPBC Act, you are invited to comment on this proposal before COB 30 May 2014.
Comments can be sent by email to EPBC.email@example.com or in writing to:
Migratory Species Section
GPO Box 787
Canberra ACT 2601