CFI rainfall map
The CFI rainfall map allows landholders to look up the long-term average annual rainfall at their proposed project site.
Tree planting projects
The map allows proponents who are planning tree planting projects to work out if their project is in an area that receives more than 600 mm long-term average annual rainfall. Tree planting projects in these high rainfall areas are not generally eligible unless they take account of the impact the planting will have on water. These requirements do not apply to environmental plantings and plantings that help to mitigate dryland salinity. For further information about the rules that apply to tree planting projects in areas that receive more than 600 mm long-term average annual rainfall, please refer to the negative list.
Instructions to access the CFI rainfall map
The CFI rainfall map is available as part of the Australian Government’s free online Carbon Farming Initiative Mapping Tool. The Carbon Farming Initiative Mapping Tool allows landholders to view their project using remotely-sensed imagery. Landholders can also use the Carbon Farming Initiative Mapping Tool to map the boundary of their project, identify long-term average annual rainfall in the project area and save geospatial mapping files to submit with their project application.
To access the Carbon Farming Initiative Mapping Tool and view the CFI rainfall map, follow the steps below.
- Go to the CFI Reforestation Tool home page.
- Create a User Account, if you do not have one already.
- Log in to your account.
- Click on the 'CMT' tab at the top of the page. This will take you to the Carbon Farming Initiative Mapping Tool.
- Click on 'Help'. A new browser window containing a help file will open.
- Scroll down until you reach the heading, B. Using the map.
- Under the heading, B. Using the map, click on the link, View the CFI rainfall map? This will provide instructions on how to view a map of rainfall in the Carbon Farming Initiative Mapping Tool.
- Follow the instructions on how to view the CFI rainfall map