Implementation Working Group Achievements Report - March 2010 to October 2011
About the report
The Implementation Working Group
The National Television and Computer Product Stewardship Scheme Implementation Working Group was established to provide a high-level, strategic forum to guide the development of a national recycling scheme for televisions, computers, printers and computer products.
During its 11 meetings, between March 2010 and October 2011, the Implementation Working Group undertook the considerable task of providing guidance, feedback and input into the development and implementation of the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme. This achievement report is the final document produced for the Implementation Working Group.
- The development of a comprehensive set of key performance indicators (KPIs) and a draft geographic roll-out plan for the Scheme, informing the development of the Product Stewardship (Televisions and Computers) Regulations 2011.
- Input to the development of targets, conversion factors, governance and reporting requirements under the Scheme.
- A successful proposal to Standards Australia for development of a joint Australian and New Zealand Standard for the collection, storage, transport and treatment of used electrical and electronic equipment.
- Input into the development of an interim industry recycling and collection standard for televisions, computers and computer peripherals.
- Comprehensive contribution to a report establishing a baseline for workplace incidents and occupational health and safety activities in the e-waste recycling sector. This report led to the Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (the department) submitting a proposal to Safe Work Australia to establishment of a model Work Health and Safety Code of Practice for the e-waste recycling sector.
- Successful implementation of a stakeholder engagement and communications strategy, including:
- Launching the National Television and Computer Recycling Scheme one-stop portal and e-bulletin service.
- Developing a joint government-industry factsheet on responsible disposal of end-of-life televisions and computers.
- Bilateral engagement with charities and social enterprises
- Three fieldtrips to local government and recycling operations
- Presentations to more than 14 major conferences, workshops and forums.
- Development and successful implementation of a risk management strategy.
- Close involvement and engagement with the Stakeholder Reference Group.