Refrigeration and airconditioning - Technicians

Refrigerant Handling Licence

A Refrigerant Handling Licence must be held by any person who carries out work in relation to RAC equipment. Carrying out work in relation to RAC equipment means to do anything with a fluorocarbon refrigerant, or a component of RAC equipment, that carries the risk of refrigerant being emitted, including: decanting the refrigerant or manufacturing, installing, commissioning, servicing or maintaining RAC equipment or decommissioning RAC equipment.

Apply for your licence:

A transitional licence is available for technicians who work in specified industries and whose qualifications do not align with any of the four licence categories administered by the ARC. The Department is working with industry to formalise transitional licences so that they are competency-based.

Handling fluorocarbon refrigerant without a Refrigerant Handling Licence is an offence.

National regulations are in place which affect people who acquire, possess, dispose of or handle ozone depleting substances or synthetic greenhouse gases.

The ARC (Australian Refrigeration Council) has been appointed as the Industry Board to administer the regulations.

For further information, contact the ARC on 1300 884 483 or view the ARC's frequently asked questions.