Legislation - Product Stewardship for Oil Program
About the legislation
The following legislation underpins the Product Stewardship Arrangements for Waste Oil (PSO) arrangements.
- Product Stewardship (Oil) Act 2000 - the primary piece of legislation which establishes the general framework, benefit entitlements and the operation of the Oil Stewardship Advisory Council. An annual report is produced under Section 35 of the legislation for each financial year and tabled in both houses of Parliament;
- Product Grants and Benefits Administration Act 2000 - establishes eligibility criteria and the administrative mechanisms used by the ATO to pay benefits to recyclers.
The product stewardship benefit rates and criteria are prescribed in the Product Stewardship (Oil) Regulations 2000 (the Regulations). The Regulations set out the categories of recycled oil product that will be eligible for stewardship benefits and the benefit rate for each category. They also prescribe some health, safety and environment (HSE) standards for oils eligible for the highest level of benefits.
The Product Grants and Benefits Administration Regulations 2000 set out specific criteria that must be met by a recycler wishing to claim benefits. These include the need to comply with relevant State and Territory legislation and regulations.
- Excise Tariff Act 1921, as amended by the Excise Tariff Amendment (Product Stewardship for Waste Oil) Act 2000 - contributes to establishing the Product Stewardship Levy; and the Excise Tariff Amendment Act (No.1) 2002 - lists exempt oils and abolishes the automatic indexation on the levy.
- Customs Tariff Act 1995, as amended by the Customs Tariff Amendment (Product Stewardship for Waste Oil) Act 2000 - contributes to establishing the Product Stewardship Levy; and the Customs Tariff Amendment Act (No. 2) 2002 - lists exempt oils and abolishes the automatic indexation on the levy.
- Product Stewardship (Oil) (Consequential Amendments) Act 2000 - contributes to establishing the Product Stewardship Levy and general administrative arrangements.
Transitional Assistance expenditure, including general running costs of the Product Stewardship Arrangements and general grant funding, is funded through the Appropriation (Supplementary Measures) Act (No 2) 1999 .