For tourism operators
We’ve prepared two sets of guidelines to make the process of applying for a tourism operator permit or licence simpler. Please refer to these guidelines to determine which one you need.
- Commercial tourism operator permit guidelines (PDF - 2.89 MB)
- Commercial tourism operator licence guidelines (PDF - 364.21 KB)
Additionally, all tour operators must have successfully completed the Kakadu National Park Knowledge for Tour Guides program.
You will need a permit if you want to carry out a routine or standard activity into areas of the park that are generally open to the public without a limit on numbers.
Standard land-based tour permit
This covers most tours including daytime tours into Kakadu’s many public access areas, including Ubirr, Nourlangie and Twin Falls.
- Application for a permit to conduct commercial land-based tours (PDF - 637.77 KB) | (DOCX - 232.06 KB)
- Information for Tour Operators - Kakadu Knowledge for Tour Guides (PDF - 399.02 KB)
Apply for this permit if you would like access to a restricted area, such as Ubirr during the wet season.
- Application for a permit for Ubirr wet season access (PDF - 249.73 KB) | (DOCX - 166.99 KB)
- Tour guide agreement form for wet season access to Ubirr (PDF - 67 KB) | (DOC - 149 KB)
- Information for tour operators and guides - Ubirr wet season access (PDF - 1.53 MB) | (PPTX - 1.7 MB)
If a tourism activity is a new proposal or is limited by type, location, number of operators or involves exclusive use of a site then the activity must operate under a tourism licence. Tourism licences are issued with a minimum five year term.
- Application for a licence for exclusive or restricted use (PDF - 910.34 KB) | (DOCX - 131.5 KB)
- Guidelines on how to apply for a commercial tourism licence (PDF - 140.24 KB) | (DOCX - 102.06 KB) - for your information
- Jarrangbarnmi (Koolpin Gorge) - information for tour operators and guides (PDF - 117.71 KB) | (DOCX - 952.8 KB) - for your information
- Ikoymarrwa - information for tour operators and guides (PDF - 146.6 KB) | (DOCX - 82.64 KB) - for your information
The Kakadu Knowledge for Tour Guides program
It is compulsory for all tour guides working in Kakadu to have successfully completed the Kakadu Knowledge for Tour Guides program. This program provides entry-level training covering all the things a tour guide should know when working in Kakadu, including key areas of visitor safety, understanding the park's natural and cultural values and history, minimising environmental impact and legal compliance.
If you have an queries regarding your permit please contact:
The Permits Officer
Kakadu National Park
PO Box 71
Jabiru NT 0886