Less waste, more resources
Consultation on Exposure Draft of the Product Stewardship (Televisions and Computers) Amendment Regulation 2012
The Product Stewardship (Televisions and Computers) Regulations 2011 came into effect on 8 November 2011 and support a co-regulatory recycling scheme for televisions, computers, printers and computer products.
The Australian Government intends to make minor amendments to the Regulations to align the products and product codes listed in the Regulations with the revised product codes (published by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service) used in import declarations from 1 January 2012. An Exposure Draft of the Product Stewardship (Televisions and Computers) Amendment Regulation 2012 and associated commentary has been released for public consultation.
The Amendment Regulation would:
- align product codes and descriptions in the Regulations with the updated Combined Australian Customs Tariff Nomenclature and Statistical Classification (Working Tariff);
- make some consequential changes, including to insert 'conversion factors' (average weights) for the new product codes; and
- make some minor, technical amendments to align the target provisions of the Regulations with the Government's policy intent.
The changes in the Amendment Regulation relate to product codes for imports in the period from 1 January 2012 and may have a small impact on liable parties (i.e. importers of televisions, computers and computer products that are required to participate in the Scheme) and recycling targets for 2012-2013.
The department will consult separately on more substantial amendments proposed for the Regulations which relate to further planned changes to product codes and descriptions by the Australian Bureau of Statistics. These expected changes will apply to imports from 1 July 2012. These proposed amendments would affect liable parties and recycling targets in 2013-14.
Further information on the Amendment Regulation is available in the commentary document.
The amendments were made following consultation on an exposure draft of betwen 26 April 2012 and 17 May 2012. No submissions were received.
A consolidated version of the Regulations, as amended, is available at www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012C00375
- Exposure Draft - Product Stewardship (Televisions and Computers) Amendment Regulation 2012 (PDF - 250KB) | (Word - 250KB)
- Commentary on Exposure Draft (PDF - 135KB) | (Word - 435KB)